Monday, June 18, 2012

Coming of Age Novel : Story of a Girl By Sara Zarr

Blogpost due May 18
The story Story of a girl was truely, the best book I have read this year.
The author does a great job at emphisizing the characters feelings, and how the past (mostly when she got raped) affects her today. Deanna, the main character, got raped by her brothers friend when she was 13. Her father saw then having sex, and ever since then her family has fallen apart.
The main problem in the book so far, is that Deannas relationship with her father is poor. Her entire family can't communicate, because of a mistake Deanna did a long time ago. She trys to find peace with herself, and her family, while she tried to deal with her family problems, and her social life.
Personally, I feel horrible for Deanna because everyone should deserve a second chance. She trys her best to go on with life, but the fact that everything around her is causing her not to, it makes me feel horrible for her. I hope that throughout the story, she regains herself, and finds peace with herself, and her family. Just thinking about her problems and being in her shoes, makes me just want to cry for her. To get raped at 13 by a 17 year old, is just something that you can;t just forget so easily. She gets called  whore, and a slut, when really it wasn't her fault. She was a young girl and couldn't do anything about it. Personally, I would back up Deanna anytime of day.

Blogpost due June 11
I can now say, that Story of a Girl  was the best book I read since The Book Thief in 7th grade. I feel like I would enter the world of the story whenever I would read it. Like... you can't just describe how amazing a book is... you just have to experience it, and that's what happened to me. I remember starting to read it, thinking it would be just another one of those depressing teen stories about a girl getting raped and being all depressed and everything. But really, it was something else. It was a story about struggle, and trying to move on when the entire world is giving you reasons not to.
I know that almost everyone could relate to Deanna in some way. Not the fact that she got raped, but the struggle of moving on. Every one sometime in their life has faced some kind of struggle that they can't really get through because they feel like the world is giving them every reason not to. It made me feel like I wasn't the only one that had that kind of feeling. Made me feel like I wasn't alone in a struggle for freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment